Friday, December 19, 2008

Small Miracle - Believing in Prayer

Wednesday night, Braden went sledding with the Scouts.  Needless to say it was dark and cold.  As I dropped him off, I watched as these young men - probably 15 of them - huddled together in the dark of the night to offer a word of prayer before they started their activity.  I was touched.  As a mother, I hold onto every prayer offered on behalf of my children.
 On his last run of the night, Braden hit this HUGE pot hole on the hill and went flying and then sliding on his face for another 20 feet.  His face got totally scratched up and his glasses broke and fell off.  Quick side note... On Monday, we had just gotten him brand new glasses .... for the umpteenth (sp) time.    Thankfully, Braden was alright.  His face is pretty scratched up and he is a little sore, but he will be fine.  Answered prayer #1.

After recovering, Braden got up and started looking for his glasses.  Luckily, he found the frames and 1 lens.  The other lens was no where to be found.  So, they came home.

Well, the next day (Thursday), after school, Braden and I went to find his missing lens.  I googled the hill and found it on the map - another small miracle.  Once we got to the hill, Braden and I said a prayer together that we would find his lens.  We believe that God is loving and kind and knows our needs.  And surely, if he can create worlds, he can show us where Braden's lens is.  We started combing the hill which was very large.  Honestly, it was like looking for a needle in a haystack.  After about 20 minutes of looking and knowing that the sun was going down quickly - I offered another prayer.  We reinacted his fall again and as I said the words, "If your frames and your other lens were here, then so must your missing lens"  I put my hands into the icy snow and pulled out his missing lens.  Answered prayer #2.  Nothing short of a miracle from a loving God who cares enough to answer the simplest of prayers.  We were grateful.  I put the lens back into my pocket, we went back to the car and offered a prayer of gratitude.  

I am grateful for prayer.  


5 comments:

Marie' said...

Beautifully said. Thank you for sharing it. It only happened because you are a mother of faith. I would have told my son to forget it because there is no way we could find it.

Meredith said...

I'm so glad Braden is okay- and the fact that you found the glasses & the lenses is amazing. Thank goodness for the power of prayer.

1384 n said...

That is freaking Awesome! What a great experience for Braden!

Britt said...

I am grateful for your example. Even hundreds of miles away, you are still inspiring me.

I love you!

emi. said...

i love this story! what a good experience for braden to see his mom searching through the snow and praying for his lost lens.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!