Monday, December 15, 2008

WHAT?

I always regret wearing coats places because once I get to where I am going I then have to keep track of it.   They are bulky, heavy and cumbersome.   Quite often I will justify not wearing a coat because I am "just going into the car and then into the building - where I won't need it anyway..."  Am I the only person who thinks this way?  Well, we finally got our first real snow of the winter and we were headed out yesterday morning to church (of all places).  IT WAS COLD!   And.. still snowing!  So, I grabbed my coat and gloves and was thankful that I had something to keep me warm and dry.  We walked in the door and there was a coat rack right in front of us. Brilliant! "I will hang up our coats so I don't have to drag them all over the church".  After church,  we rounded up the kiddo's and started to get all bundled up to go home.  After getting everybody ready, it was my turn.  BUT... Where is my coat?  NO COAT OR GLOVES TO BE FOUND!  I searched the halls, all of the coat racks, empty rooms.  NO COAT.  What?  No coat?  You mean, somebody STOLE my coat and gloves... and chapstick that was in my pockets, from CHURCH?  You've got to be kidding.  So, I went home without a coat to keep me warm.
Had somebody asked, I would have gladly given them my coat, but now I feel violated and disappointed.  I understand this is a hard time of year and there are so many things to worry about.  So, I will turn to the Saviors example of feeding the hungry and clothing the naked and hope that whoever has my coat REALLY needed it and is WARM this Christmas season.

Now, that I am "coatless" I appreciate more than ever a nice warm coat and the choice I had to wear one.  This morning while taking Braden to school, I wished I had had that "bulky, heavy, cumbersome coat to keep me warm from the cold.  I guess this could be a lesson on appreciating the things that I am blessed with.


6 comments:

Marie' said...

That is frustrating and shocking. My friend who is also on my blog roll lost her daughter's coat the same way. Now I am wondering if I have to start carrying six coats around church on top of my big bag that weighs so much.

Michelle Andersen said...

I'm so sorry about your coat! I do feel the exact same way as you about the coat thing. Today for example I took my coat because it was cold, but when I got inside I was sweating because I was carrying a bag and the heavy car seat carrier! By the way, my dad's car got broken into yesterday at church!! What is the world coming to?

Kathy said...

I had the same thing happen to me a few years back. I was SHOCKED that it would happen at church! I was talking to my bishop about it one day and he said, "why do you think they have lockers in the temple?" NO WAY! People wouldn't steal in the temple- but apparently they do. So sad.

1384 n said...

Hi Danae, It sucks to feel violated. Since we moved here I have had my car rummaged through as well as our mail box. Sure I left the doors unlocked and a mail box is easy to open, but when you are a person that would never think to do such a thing to someone else it is shocking every time. It's harder when you suspect the people around you that you trust. So I wanted to tell you to keep in mind that this is Utah and everyone... Mormon or not, knows our buildings are open to the public on Sundays. It really could have been someone very desperate that needed a coat. Be grateful that they took yours because of the heart that you have and the ability you have to replace it. Had it been someone else it could have been more devastating. I'm not good at saying "the mushy stuff" so i don't. But I think your family is amazing and you are an amazing mom and wife. Every example you are will leave an imprint on your children. The missing coat is no different. If you need someone to go coat shopping with I'd love to tag along! I have a few extras and would be happy to give you one but your so skinny...talk about bulky. And your not crazy for not wanting to wear a coat. I'm the same way. I put it off until absolutely necessary and I often leave them in the car.

Danae said...

Crazy, I know. However, just for the record, I really don't think it was anybody from our ward. The coat rack was in the back of the church right by an outside door. I think that somebody drove up while everybody was in their classes, popped in and out and drove off with my coat! Mostly, what bothers me about this, is that this door is right by the Primary room. What if a child had been in the hall?

Connie said...

I believe in not wearing coats, too! And at times, that rule applys to my children, too (does that make me a bad mom?!?)

My cousins Father-in-law had his shoes taken at the Temple when she was being sealed, and he was from out of town. He had to wear his old sneakers the rest of the day. SAD!